Friday, September 24, 2010

Nothing New Under the Sun

I'm looking forward very much to the upcoming film The Social Network. It's been a long time since there was a  non-action or non-Disney movie that I wanted to see in the theaters, but this is it, for several reasons:
1) It was written by Aaron Sorkin, who wrote The West Wing, Sports Night, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, and A Few Good Men. As with those works, I'm expecting a lot of fast paced, witty dialogue.
2) I like many of the actors in the film, including Justin Timberlake and Jesse Eisenberg.
3) It's about social networking! Going to see the movie is practically part of my job description.

I will say one thing, though. I'm surprised that many people are upset that the film is going to portray Facebook founder Mark Zuckerburg in a negative light. According to a news article I was just reading, the director states that the film portrays Zuckerburg as "prickly and smarter than everybody else and makes no apologies for it." The film also portrays Zuckerburg not as the real creator of Facebook, but as someone who used his business savvy to profit from the work of others. Zuckerburg is portrayed more as a businessman than as a computer genius.

Huh. Kind of reminds me of another rich computer genius:



(I can't see the video.)

No comments:

Post a Comment